Tuesday 5 February 2013

Invictus

One of the most famous poems about courage. Nelson Mandela regularly recited this poem to other prisoners on Robben Island and was empowered by it's message of self mastery. In the film Invictus, Madela give the captain of the South African rugby team a copy of this poem to inspire his team to win the Rugby World Cup.


The truth is in fact that Mandela gave him a speech called "Citizenship in a Republic" ! (Maybe we'll look at that another time...)


Out of the night that covers me
Black as the pit from pole to pole
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced or cried out loud
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyod this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Fins and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate
How changed with punishment the scroll.
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

No comments:

Post a Comment